Tenant Screening Criteria
In order to apply for tenancy you must have toured the property. Applications are not accepted unless all applicants have viewed the property. For applicants from out of the area, use of skype, facetime or another interactive “realtime” method of taking a virtual tour of the property is acceptable.
Please be prepared to pay the $40 tenant screening fee per application. In addition to the rental application, you will also be required to provide a copy of a valid form of government issued picture identification and proof of income.
Below are the tenant screening criteria that will be used to qualify a tenant for tenancy. Applicant also must be able to meet any property policies i.e. pets, no smoking, renters insurance as outlined by leasing agent to qualify for tenancy. The following information will be reviewed to determine tenancy: all information provided on application, rental history via any identifiable prior landlords, credit reports via a third party Consumer Reporting Agency, public records regarding criminal convictions history or registration as a sex offender or terrorist, personal references, verification of income, civil court records.
Each resident over the age of 18 must submit a separate complete rental application. Groups of more than one applicant will not be considered until the applications from all members of the group are received. Application will not be reviewed until all applications are received in full. All members of the group must meet the tenant screening criteria.
Smart Choice Realty does not accept a comprehensive reusable tenant screening report.
We screen applicants on a first come first serve basis. However, we reserve the right to disqualify an applicant that can not immediately take possession of the property when it is available and ready. We do not hold a vacant unit for tenant move in.
Please read the "Terms of the Application Agreement". A deposit is required as part of the tenant screening process for Owner/Agent to hold the property, remove it from the market, cancel advertising and cease showings to other prospective tenants. This fee must be paid within 24 hours of acceptance and will be applied to the security deposit.
Tenancy Approved - when applicant meets or exceed thresholds in all areas.
1. Total combined monthly gross income of all rental applicants in a given rental unit must be at least 2.25 times the monthly rental rate. Except in cases of rental housing subsidies falling within SMC 14.08.040(f), income that does not meet this threshold results in denial of the application.
2. Only income that can be verified counts. Valid source must be provided to verify income. (Please attach confirmation of source of income to the application. If you are providing check stubs please provide the past 3 pay periods.)
3. Applicants must have the same source of income for a minimum of six (6) months or be able to provide recruitment letter if new to the area. .
1. Applicant is able to demonstrate fiscal responsibility.
2. Applicant has no delinquent payments or past pattern of delinquency.
3. Applicants debt/income ratio is no more than 50%.
4. Credit score should be 620 or above.
1. Public record history free of criminal convictions harmful to persons or to property. Decision will be decided upon on a case-by-case basis, when conviction occurred and what the applicant has done for restitution since the conviction.
2, No prior unlawful detainers or evictions appear on applicant’s record.
1. Favorable references must be received from minimum of the last two landlords. Pattern of meeting their rental obligations, leaving prior rental properties in good condition and not having a pattern of complaints from neighbors. If a former landlord does not respond to requests for information within 48 hours of being contacted, that may result in denial of application.
2. For applicants without prior rental history, adequate personal references for equivalent to two favorable past landlord references.
1. Applicant was respectful of leasing agent, property and neighbors including showing up on time for tour. Failure to do so will result in denial of the application.
2. Each applicant was met and identification verified (Please attach to application).
3. Applicant is able to pay screening fee for each application and all monies required for tenancy.
4. Able to move in as soon as property is available.
5. Pay deposit to hold the property, remove it from the market, cancel advertising and cease showings to other prospective tenants. This fee will be applied to security deposit. Once application has been submitted the applicant will be sent a link for payment. Terms regarding the payment are listed in the "Terms of Application Agreement."